Thursday 6 May 2021

MSc Real Estate Investment Finance: Student Profile - Obone George

The Real Estate Investment Finance (REIF) programme at Oxford Brookes attracts students from across the world - bringing students together online. I caught up with Obone George who has recently completed the MSc Real Estate Investment Finance and he agreed to answer my questions...



What is your background? 

I studied for a BSc (Hons) in Estate Management at Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh and completed a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) with Edinburgh Business School.  I have worked in both the private sector and parastatals in Botswana specifically in the property asset management and facilities management functions.  I am currently in the banking sector where I am responsible for real estate valuations and property development projects spanning from residential to commercial developments.

Why did you decide to do a course in REIF?

Having a keen interest on the numbers side of real estate I wanted a programme that would elevate me to better understand the intricacies behind financing various real estate ventures, the concepts and forms of various finance, aspects of real estate valuation which is currently within the scope of my job role.  I also found the course interesting since it offered an in-depth study of indirect real estate investment vehicles such as real estate investment trusts (REITs), a concept which is not so common in Africa (South Africa is the only country with an established REIT market and attempts are underway in Kenya to structure and enhance REITs) albeit having existed in mature markets for a while such as the US and the UK.

Why did you choose the MSc REIF at Oxford Brookes?

First and foremost the programme at Oxford Brookes is offered in a very flexible mode of study being the international distance learning (IDL) mode which allowed me to still focus on my career and still spend time with my family without the need to relocate.  Furthermore the MSc REIF at Oxford Brookes has a comprehensive list of accreditations being the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS),Investment Property Forum (IPF), Asia Association for Investors in Non-Listed Real Estate Vehicles (ANREV), and Asia Pacific Real Estate Association (APREA).

What did you gain from the course and how has it helped you in your career?  

The course has equipped me with invaluable skills in terms of real estate finance, real estate valuations and international best practice. Subsequent to completing the MSc REIF I enrolled with the RICS and submitted my preliminary assessment and happy to announce that I am currently awaiting my final interview! I have also gained some financial analysis skills which is crucial in my career especially when heading a division. My job role also involves analysing and scrutinising real estate deals and testing for viability and feasibility prior to the bank funding the transaction, the MSc REIF has significantly added a lot of insight and knowledge in this category through the real estate  investment finance and real estate investment markets modules. 

What did you choose for your dissertation topic and why? 

My dissertation topic was “Investigation of residential valuation accuracy in Botswana.” I chose the topic because predominantly the research on valuation accuracy has always focused on commercial properties and in mature economies (US, UK etc) so my research was aimed at contributing to the neglected emerging economies and on the residential side of the market.  Having been also exposed to the structure of the UK real estate profession I was interested in comparing and contrasting the real estate profession in Botswana, its regulatory bodies and how they all contribute and tie in to the real estate valuation profession and ultimately accuracy of the real estate valuations.


Thanks Obone. And you can find out more about the MSc/PGD REIF and book a place on one of our REIF Online Information Sessions by following the links below:

MSc/PGD Real Estate Investment Finance - course details

REIF Online Information Session - click to book a place

MSc/PGD Real Estate Investment Finance - student profiles



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.